[LRUG] Rails - The Missing Parts

Uroš Jurglič jurglic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 11:54:55 PST 2014

Great post Tom! I think most Rails devs that have spent time on a
multi-year project can relate to your findings. And probably most have
also come up with own solutions to organise the logic out of the
controllers and models...

Having seen many projects with the same issues, I feel it is a missed
opportunity for Rails not to level up and embrace conventions for
"enterprise" use - to handle the codebase growth. Let's face it, there
are more and more working rails application that are big, and they're
not getting any smaller...

Off course you can say this is not needed, because you can apply good
OO practices and cope with the growth... true. Too bad Rails is not
helping you. More, in a lot of places it seeds anti-patterns and bad
OO practices for which the price you pay later...

I think this kind of shift in direction would be well accepted and
similarly bold but right one as the merger with merb was.

Tell me I'm wrong :)

--
Uros Jurglic | https://github.com/jurglic