[LRUG] Juniors

Sasha Gerrand chat-lists.lrug.org at sgerrand.com
Thu May 22 00:35:15 PDT 2014

On 22 May 2014 08:24, "Paul Robinson" <paul at iconoplex.co.uk> wrote:

> On 21 May 2014 21:01, Ed Lepedus <ed.lepedus at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Firstly, the word 'junior' has been thrown about so much as to be
utterly meaningless. The difference between a keen amateur, someone who has
a couple of years experience but just 'fell into it', a CS graduate who
just scraped a 2:1 and a top-of-class 2nd year undergraduate is HUGE. Yet
they all fall into the same category.

> Actually, it's not just junior that means nothing. I'm guilty of using
"senior", but somebody who has spent 7 years working for agencies
developing microsites for TV production companies (surprisingly common in
some parts of the industry), has had a completely different experience to
somebody who spent 7 years as a quant developer for Goldman Sachs. They
might understand advanced topics as thoroughly as each other, but putting
them into a real world production project, you will quickly identify very
different strengths and weaknesses.

> One of the best programmers I've worked with has been under 20, never set
foot in a University and entirely self-taught. One of the worst had a PhD
in CS, 10+ years experience and was very well-read professionally.

There's a great quote about the intersection between good programmers and
good computer scientists being extremely small. I further the source so
apologies for a lack of attribution.

-Sasha