[LRUG] Juniors

Evgeny Shadchnev evgeny.shadchnev at gmail.com
Wed May 21 06:54:34 PDT 2014

Hi Thayer,

Ironically, bringing a junior developer up to speed often takes time of
someone more experienced, which really is a problem given that most
companies are short of experienced devs. So they aren't ready to take a
short-term hit of training up a junior developer until they're big.

Another problem is the perception: many companies that haven't worked with
good juniors assume that junior devs aren't worth interviewing. When we
started Makers Academy, our biggest problem was not that our grads weren't
passing the interviews (they were) but that it was hard to arrange the
interview in the first place. Often once a company hires one good junior,
they are much more predisposed towards hiring more juniors.