[LRUG] Juniors

David Wickes dave.wickes at gmail.com
Thu May 22 01:47:33 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

As someone currently in the middle of switching career to development I've
found this discussion both depressing and encouraging - it's always a bit
depressing to talk about people trying to bootstrap themselves into a paid
position when they're in the Catch 22 of having no experience, and then
having no experience because they have no job. But that's not a problem in
any way unique to programming.

What's encouraging is the constructive attitude in a lot of these posts -
looking for ways to get around the problem by treating people as
individuals rather than a series of presumed skills on a CV - and the
willingness to give people a chance. An I love the idea of prehash.com -
I'll probably apply for some jobs just to look at the questions :)

Regarding bootcamps - I've heard good things and bad things while I was
looking at them. In the end I applied to Makers and I'll start in August -
my reasoning is that, while I love learning in my own time (and I'm making
decent progress I reckon), it's pretty hard to fit around a full time job
and all the other commitments I've picked up by my early 30s. I'm not
looking for some magical degree-like seal of approval  from a bootcamp; I'm
looking to up my knowledge of programming and development methods as
quickly as possible. Then I hope to be judged on the quality of my
character. Or my GitHub profile, whatever's easiest...