[LRUG] Juniors

Glenn @ Ruby Pond Ltd glenn at rubypond.com
Wed May 21 08:01:50 PDT 2014

> Ironically, bringing a junior developer up to speed often takes time of
> someone more experienced, which really is a problem given that most
> companies are short of experienced devs. So they aren't ready to take a
> short-term hit of training up a junior developer until they're big.

I've come across more than one company in recent years that has taken the
stance that being a senior engineer means being able the mentor. Thinking
strategically, being able to coach/grow/mentor people, and being able to
adapt communication styles to individuals so that you help ensure they're
effective are all the hallmarks of being a senior engineer. So if you're
not helping skill someone up you're not a senior engineer.

I really like this approach now, it's too easy to confuse high technical
proficiency with seniority.