[LRUG] Rails / Web óutsourcing

Louis Goff-Beardsley louis at infinitiumglobal.com
Sat Nov 1 03:36:03 PDT 2014

Hi,

Just found this in my Junk mail folder, looks like óutsourcing is a filtered term.

Unless the project is too small to bother with, instead of hiring an outsourcing company you can save yourself a ton of money and get quality development done by just hiring remote developers yourself. Outsourcing companies markup on developer time is usually double what they are paying the developers, you can use the same money and hire the developers directly, thus enabling you to hire more senior developers for your money. Alternatively you can hire EU based people that can visit regularly, rather than non-eu based people you’ll never meet IRL.

If what you need doing is going to take more than one developer and you’re worried about managing people and that’s why you’re going to an outsourcing company you can get around this by making your first hire an experienced hands-on tech lead who’s well used to managing other remote developers.

If its short term, most remote developers are happy with fixed term contracts or ad hoc day-rates, you don’t have to commit to hiring them continuously.

If you’re using outsourcing long term (as a solution because you’re struggling to hire in London) you might as well hire remote developers directly and make them feel invested rather than just shipping code for an offshore consultancy.

The only drawback is that you’ve got to take ownership of interviewing, but you’d probably have to invest the same effort into vetting outsourcing companies, plus if the first person you hire is good, they’ll handle it for you in the future.

Best, Louis.