[LRUG] Though on CMSs

Erin Staniland erin at withassociates.com
Tue Nov 4 10:30:48 PST 2014

Hi

> However, if you have a site, you must have some system for managing its
> content, so it becomes a debate about using existing solutions vs rolling
> your own. The main things I'd like to know are:

1. Do you use a CMS?
Yes, Slices - https://github.com/withassociates/slices/

2. Is it custom built or off-the-shelf?
It's custom built by us.

3. Do you use the same CMS for many projects, or are they project-specific?
The same CMS (Slices), it's easy to customise if needed.

4. If you do use publicly-available CMSs, which ones, and would you
recommend them?
We only use Slices...

5. Any other comments/experiences etc

It's aimed at non-technical end-users, the CMS gives them a pallet of
"content types" or slices which allows them to create complex page
layouts without having to know any HTML or use a WYSIWYG editor. The
slices themselves are simple enough to be built by a front-end
developer.

Slices is a Rails Engine and tries to keep out of the way so that you
can use it in projects which don't just need a CMS.

Best
Erin

--
Erin Staniland
Director

- - - -

Pair With Associates
A problem shared is a problem solved
http://pair.withassociates.com/

With Associates
54B Downham Road, London, N1 5AS
+44 (0) 20 7923 4757 www.withassociates.com

- - - -

With Associates is the trading name of With Associates Digital Limited
Registered office: 54B Downham Road, N1 5AS
Registered in England under registration No. 08928808

On 3 November 2014 20:40, Ed Lepedus <ed.lepedus at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Evening LRUG,
>
> As the title suggests, I was wondering what your thoughts were regarding
> CMSs, and on content management strategies in general. Having spent some
> time with Wordpress and Drupal in the past, I find myself somewhat
> prejudiced against them.
>
> However, if you have a site, you must have some system for managing its
> content, so it becomes a debate about using existing solutions vs rolling
> your own. The main things I'd like to know are:
>
> Do you use a CMS?
> Is it custom built or off-the-shelf?
> Do you use the same CMS for many projects, or are they project-specific?
> If you do use publicly-available CMSs, which ones, and would you recommend
> them?
> Any other comments/experiences etc
>
> Thanks,
> Ed Lepedus