[LRUG] Well-behaved Unix

Rob Miller rob at bigfish.co.uk
Tue Oct 14 07:54:24 PDT 2014

Hi all,

Thanks for the opportunity to speak last night. Hopefully there were at
least a couple of new bits of information for everyone in amongst the
40-year-old ancient history and things people already knew!

I've stuck my slides here:

http://www.slideshare.net/bigfishdesign/well-behaved-unix

If anyone's interested in more along these lines, and interested in
forgiving some blatant plugging, I'm very nearly finished with my book
which also in this broad subject area.

It's called "Text Processing with Ruby", and it covers some of the stuff
I talked about last night (though in much greater detail, obviously) as
well as things as varied as how to write one-liners in Ruby, how to
scrape HTML websites, how to use regular expressions to manipulate text
and extract information from it, dealing with character encodings,
writing parsers with StringScanner, writing text to other processes to
form your own pipelines, and hopefully lots more besides.

It will — in a few weeks, hopefully — be available from Pragmatic
Bookshelf at what I'm sure will be a reasonable price; its currently
useless and bare web page is here
https://pragprog.com/book/rmtpruby/text-processing-with-ruby but that
will be updated in time. Hopefully we'll be running a beta version of
the book before it actually launches, so if you guys can stomach another
round of plugging I'll let everyone know when that happens.

Thanks again, and thanks especially to Xav and Sam for their SonicPi
talk — it was amazing and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been
shirking their actual work today to play with bleeps and bloops!

Best,
Rob

--
https://robm.me.uk/