[LRUG] [JOBS] Ruby developers in a Ed Tech company

Thomas riboulet at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 07:40:31 PDT 2014

Hello,

I've messaged the list a couple of months ago and I am now returning with a
follow up.

I am Head of Engineering in a 3 years old Ed Tech company in London (Tower
Hill) and I am looking for Ruby developers (both junior and more
experienced) to join our team.

If you have basic to very good Ruby knowledge, know your basics in tests
and experience with Rails or Sinatra you should email me your resume.

If you are a recruiter or recruitment company : please don't message me : I
am already talking with some of you.

Founded 3+ years ago by a former teacher the company aims at solving a very
old problem in schools : homework tracking.

The company is doing well financially and we are looking at very nice
growth rate for the next year.

We are using TDD, the good practices in Ruby and Rails and a git flow.

The stack is quite classic : Ruby 2.1, Rails 3.2, MySQL, Redis, Resque,
ElasticSearch, JS.

The infrastructure is handled through SaltStack and our IaaS API.

We are looking at Ember.js, Big Data NoSQL and Docker (among other things)
for the next 12 months.

We have a nice test suite (unit, controller, integration) running
automatically through a SaaS CI service. Some of our environments are
deployed automatically following successful builds.

About the roles :

If you are junior developer we will be happy to help you enter the team and
learn the skills and tricks that come with maintaining, improving and
designing products with big usage in mind.

If you are middle level or senior you'd be asked to work on big parts of
the app quite quickly : keeping things running smoothly, improving SQL
requests, planning refactoring and changes, working on blueprints for
possible architecture and infrastructure changes and evolution.

In all cases :

Close collaboration with all team members and also the rest of the company
is expected. Daily stand ups for the devs, and weekly stand ups with
everyone in the company.

We use trello, slack and github as the main ways to track and get things
done outside the stand ups.

We want to really consolidate our local team in London so we would prefer
people living in or willing to relocate to London.
We'd be quite happy to talk to West European ruby developers willing to
relocate to London.

Expect also to be asked to documents commits, pull requests, methods and
possibly to open source libraries on a regular basis.

Waiting to hear from you,

All the best,

--
Thomas Riboulet