[LRUG] [JOBS]Environmental NGO looking for a Ruby developer

Cathryn Symons cathryn.symons at cdp.net
Fri Apr 10 01:43:12 PDT 2015

​Hi everyone,

I head up the IT team at CDP, an environmental NGO, and we're redeveloping our website.  We're using Ruby on Rails, working with a lovely software house who're building it with us, and helping us learn Rails so we can keep on enhancing it once they're done (and, being a charity, have run out of money to pay them).

We need to find a developer to join the inhouse team, and are looking for someone with excellent Rails skills, as well as html, css and javascript.  There's also chef and Jenkins in the mix, so if you know those, that would be great.  You should be very comfortable with scrum, tdd / bdd and all that sort of stuff, and have a very rigorous attitude to testing.  We're learning, and you'll help us improve and influence the way we work

We're a charity, so the money isn't what you'd get in a super-successful software house (we can offer £35-45k), but you'll be working to solve climate change, arguably the defining issue of our age.  There's a decent pension, good holidays and an annual bonus if we meet organisational targets, plus loans for travelcards and bikes (we love people who bike to work).  We're family friendly, and happy to have people working from home regularly, or doing different hours, so long as you're on our scrum call every morning.

Even if you're very concerned about climate change, you may not have heard of us.  We have a different approach from others working to the same goal, as we are trying to use the economic system to prevent dangerous climate change.  We do that by asking companies and cities to disclose their carbon emissions, fresh water use and deforestation activities to us, and encouraging investors and purchasers to include that information in their decision-making.  It's effective, and the Harvard Business Review once described us as 'The most powerful green NGO you've never heard of'.

If you're interested, please email me with your CV and a covering email explaining how your experience fits our needs, and what you'd like to get from the job.  There are a few more details on our website<https://www.cdp.net/en-US/Pages/itJobs.aspx>, and if you've any questions, please send those through as well.  I'm not sure if agencies read this list, but if you're an agent, please, don't contact me - we never deal with cold callers.

Thanks for your time,

Cathryn Symons
IT Director
+44 (0) 20 7415 7087[X] | +44 (0) 7901 824284[X]
www.cdp.net<http://www.cdp.net/> | @CDP<http://twitter.com/CDP> | CDP LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Carbon-Disclosure-Project-CDP-3705876>

CDP works with investors, companies and governments to drive environmental disclosure and action that will deliver a sustainable economy, prevent dangerous climate change and protect natural resources.

Carbon Disclosure Project, Registered Charity no. 1122330. A company limited by guarantee registered in England no. 05013650.