[LRUG] New post-meeting pub

Murray Steele murray.steele at lrug.org
Wed Aug 5 10:35:09 PDT 2015

Hi all,

As you’re all (hopefully) aware we’ll be hosting our meetings at the new
Skills Matter offices: CodeNode on South Place (between Liverpool St. and
Moorgate stations).  I visited it for their launch on Monday and it’s a
really nice space.  Lots of rooms and very spacious.

What I didn’t really get a handle on is what might make a good post-meeting
venue for food+drinks.  CodeNode is directly opposite The Red Lion on Eldon
Street (http://www.taylor-walker.co.uk/pub/red-lion-moorgate/c0837/) - but
that self describes as cosy and is clearly tiny.  Just up the street it The
Fleetwood (http://www.thefleetwood.co.uk/) which is bigger, but also seems
wee.  In the area and large is the All Bar One on the corner of Moorgate
and Chiswell Street (
http://www.allbarone.co.uk/national-search/london/all-bar-one-chiswell-street)
- but, y’know, it’s an All Bar One.

I was going to suggest The Master Gunner (
http://www.fancyapint.com/Pub/london/master-gunner/409) purely because
although it’s not an amazing pub, it was quite big.  However, it’s been
reopened as Finch’s Pub (http://www.finchspub.co.uk
<http://www.finchspub.co.uk/gallery>) and seems more gastro-y.  This could
be nice in terms of getting some decent food, but maybe it’s more tabley
and has less room.  I don’t suppose anyone has been recently?

If no-one has any better suggestions I think we should just try Finch’s Pub
for the August meeting, and if it’s ok we can stick with it, but if it’s
clearly unsuitable we can try somewhere else after the September meeting.

Cheers,

Murray