[LRUG] Advice: manipulating ActiveRecord objects [newbie]

Marco Iannone marco.iannone at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 04:37:21 PST 2015

This is great, many thanks everyone, much appreciated.

And sorry for the slow reply.

Duncan: re. swapping where and includes: .includes seems to prefer to
generate IN () style of SQL queries even in that case.

Frederick: we will try .eager_load and report back.
Combining the datasets yourself without using the .includes: that's the
issue, the responsebuilder does expect an activerecord object, so we'd need
to refactor that - what I alluded to as plan B. Definitely a possible
option. In fact, we'd create something else, as the responsebuilder is used
everywhere.

Julius: we'll definitely also add the .select, though it doesn't seem to
make a major difference, as the table has few columns.
Pagination: that's definitely a good idea, something we may need to add
anyway, also for usability.

Ed: that is the problem indeed: creating the hashes implies re-writing the
responsebuilder, which is our plan B if we can't figure out how to force
the right queries into the right activerecord object. Agreed on pagination.
[Incidentally, we didn't expect clients to have quite that many feeds. What
they say about real life messing up your plans etc.]

Graham: thanks, and interesting that there seems to be some consensus
around plan B.
Here are the gists of the responsebuilder
<https://gist.github.com/marcoi/c96fb66383147d096cf8>and feedbuilder
<https://gist.github.com/marcoi/f0202a8710700e924db2>(unnecessary stuff
removed). As I was mentioning the former is used everywhere, the latter
just here. We can build a bespoke builder.

Also: we found this, which may be helpful for plan A
http://blog.bigbinary.com/2013/07/01/preload-vs-eager-load-vs-joins-vs-includes.html

Thanks again everyone, really appreciated. Let me know if anything comes to
mind, either way we'll report back once/if we get somewhere.