[LRUG] Field definitions in AR models

Thomas Buckley-Houston tom at tombh.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 03:33:37 PST 2015

Thanks for the replies.

I think Tim Diggins most gets what I'm on about, thanks :)

My problem with poking around the console is that it's counter to the
MVC philosophy of using the Model to describe your domain. Code *as*
documentation and all that. In pretty much every other MVC framework
and ORM I've come across, fields are described in the model. My
question is really curiosity as to why this is? Is AR's fieldless
models a known pattern? Or is there a historical reason in AR's
development for it?

PS Nice to see a fellow Buckley, Kerry, we're probably cousins thrice
removed or something.