[LRUG] Chat Digest, Vol 109, Issue 8

James Adam james at lazyatom.com
Wed Feb 18 11:33:30 PST 2015

> On 18 Feb 2015, at 10:21, John Arundel <john at bitfieldconsulting.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure what 'asked to leave' means in the context of the mailing list, but I will be interested to see how the code of conduct is applied in this case.

In this case we (the moderators, i.e. Murray and I) held back some of the messages in this thread from various contributors, where we were confident that it was appropriate to do so. We specifically got in touch with Stefan to make suggestions about next steps he might take, should he want to continue contributing. Stefan elected to leave the mailing list. In some cases we are continuing to moderate discussion in other threads.

More generally, it’s tricky to figure out a way of robustly avoiding these kind of situations, since the mailing list is in effect a public space and not everything is flagged for moderation. Even with moderation, it can be very difficult to determine when responses are “helping” or not, and to what extent we should be “curating” the discussion without curtailing anyone’s individual right to contribute. However, it’s very important to us to try and get this balance right, and so we’re always open to any and all suggestions about how we can, with your help, keep the mailing list as a welcoming and inclusive environment for as many people as possible.

If you have any ideas or questions or concerns or just general feedback, we are always reachable at chat-owner at lists.lrug <mailto:chat-owner at lists.lrug>.org , and there’s a lot more information about what we’re trying to do at http://readme.lrug.org <http://readme.lrug.org/>.

Speaking personally, I would urge anyone who is at all concerned that there has been a violation of the code of conduct to first get in touch with us, or with someone on the volunteer team (see http://readme.lrug.org/#incident-handling <http://readme.lrug.org/#incident-handling>), rather than replying on the list. We and they are here to help and will work with you and/or on your behalf to achieve the best resolution we can, fully confidentially if required. Responding directly on the list, while I am deeply sympathetic with the urge, can make this harder to do in a swift and efficient way.

— James