[LRUG] Chat Digest, Vol 109, Issue 8

John Arundel john at bitfieldconsulting.com
Wed Feb 18 10:21:13 PST 2015

On 18 Feb 2015, at 17:22, chat-request at lists.lrug.org wrote:
> From: Despo Pentara <despo.pentara at googlemail.com>
> I fail to see how most of yesterday?s discussion was in any way constructive or appropriate to be made in a public forum where someone's primary topic of interest is Ruby.

I agree.

"Harassment includes invasions of personal space, exclusionary jokes/comments, and sexual language and imagery in talks, but this list is non-exhaustive: if you make anyone feel uncomfortable or unwelcome, you will be asked to leave."
—LRUG code of conduct

I think it's pretty clear that Stefan's post yesterday contained an 'exclusionary joke', if you want to put it that way. It certainly made me feel uncomfortable, and I dare say a few other people, and on those grounds if no other I suggest it violates the code. It doesn't really matter what responses it generated, because the original post itself was unacceptable and should not have been made.

I'm not sure what 'asked to leave' means in the context of the mailing list, but I will be interested to see how the code of conduct is applied in this case.

Regards,
John
--
Bitfield Consulting: we make software that makes things work
http://bitfieldconsulting.com/