[LRUG] Comparable Null Objects

Frederick Cheung frederick.cheung at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 08:07:28 PDT 2015

On 15 July 2015 at 15:58:53, Duncan Stuart (dgmstuart at gmail.com) wrote:

Thanks Frederick and Rob

Defining to_date doesn't suffice: the <=> method on Date doesn't try and coerce the argument into a date, which is why Date.today > Time.now fails, even though Time responds to to_date.

If I were to define a coercion method, I think it would have to be on Date, which feels wrong.

As a quick hack:

class NoExpectedDate
  def to_s(format=:default)
    "Unknown"
  end
  def coerce(other)
    [other, 10000000] # a date long in the future
  end
end

Date.today <=> NoExpectedDate.new
=> -1