[LRUG] Converting from the dark side

James McCarthy james at lety.co
Tue Jun 2 04:48:30 PDT 2015

Keep in mind that Rails is not Ruby, a lot of people know how to use
rails but cannot really do anything else using Ruby.

Rails is a great framework for what it does (webapp), have a look at
other types of tasks (system administration scripts is something Ruby
has taken over from Perl a little).

James.

On 02/06/15 12:38, Jay Greasley wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm a bit of a dinosaur, having started with COBOL through Visual
> Basic 3, classic asp and then onto the asp.net <http://asp.net> stack.
> But, I'm really interested in moving over to using Ruby.
> I supported an old Rails 2.3 app a couple of years ago and liked the
> syntax and flexibilty.
> I have a new work opportunity where Ruby appears to be a good
> candidate for the product.
> Has anyone else made a similar move?
> My main question is what one book would you recommend to start with.
> Is it the Pickaxe book?
> I'm sure it'll take a while to change mindset to appreciate
> metaprogramming etc.
>
> All responses are much appreciated
>
> Best
>
> Jay