[LRUG] Converting from the dark side

Riccardo Tacconi rtacconi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 08:30:23 PDT 2015

Although I started with Rails, I realised I was using a DSL to develop web
applications. So I read Eloquent Ruby and a bit of the Pickaxe book. The I
was following Ruby Tapas and listening to http://devchat.tv/ruby-rogues/
(postcast). I found useful Ruby challenges in the following web sites:

http://rosettacode.org/
http://rubyquiz.com/
http://www.codewars.com/

Plus, Russ Olsen did not only wrote Eloquent Ruby, but he wrote Design
Patterns in Ruby: http://designpatternsinruby.com/. Then you could get even
better with Sandi book http://www.poodr.com/ which explains OOP in Ruby.
Another book covering OOP and the DCI design patterns is
http://clean-ruby.com/ and the same author wrote another book on how to
write a DSL in Ruby.

On 2 June 2015 at 16:21, Sam Livingston-Gray <geeksam at gmail.com> wrote:

> +1. Eloquent Ruby is one of the few tech books I've read cover to cover
> and enjoyed all the way through. It's a screencast, not a book, but you
> might also find Ruby Tapas useful for picking up Ruby idioms.
>
> --
> (Sent from phone. Please excuse: brevity, top posting, hilarious
> autocorrections.)
>
> On Jun 2, 2015, at 5:17 AM, Lucas Mbiwe <lucas at geek4good.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Jay,
>
> Welcome to the community!
>
> On 2 June 2015 at 13:53:18, Jay Greasley (jay at firecomputing.co.uk) wrote:
>
> Thanks. I'm keen to understand Ruby first. I know my way round the mvc
> pattern, if not the Rails specifics. At this stage I don't know if Rails is
> overkill for the project so am aware of keeping a very open mind.
>
> I've heard good things about The Well-Grounded Rubyist. So I'm sure
> picking up a copy of it wouldn't be a mistake.
>
> I personally prefer Eloquent Ruby by Russ Olson, as it covers all the
> language specifics with a strong focus on idioms (“Write Code That Looks
> Like Ruby”). It even covers metaprogramming and touches on building gems (a
> bit outdated but the basics still apply).
> -- Lucas

Riccardo Tacconi

http://github.com/rtacconi
http://twitter.com/rtacconi