[LRUG] July and August meetings - new location!

Murray Steele murray.steele at lrug.org
Wed Jun 3 10:12:47 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Skills Matter, the hosts for our monthly meetings, will be opening the
doors on their new space during July.  It’s between Liverpool St and
Moorgate and you can read more about it here:
https://skillsmatter.com/locations/263-skills-matter-codenode.

This has an impact on us in a couple of ways.

Firstly, from our August meeting onwards (Monday 10th) we’ll be holding our
meetings there instead of Goswell Road.  This shouldn’t really be much of a
problem unless you’re on auto-pilot when you head to LRUG.  However, I’ll
try to make it very clear when announcing the next few meetings that we’re
in a new venue.

Secondly, and this is where I need some help, they won’t be able to host
our July meeting (Monday 13th) because they’re busy setting up the new
venue.  Options are:

a) just skip the July meeting,
b) have a “farewell to the slaughtered lamb” social meeting (at the
slaughtered lamb, obvs),
c) something else that doesn’t really require a venue (LRUG In The Park
anyone?),
d) find an alternative suitable venue for talks.

I’m in favour of d) if we can find a venue, so do get in touch if you have
any ideas for suitable venues.  Suitable would mean:

1) can fit about 100 attendees, more would be better as we can be up to 160
registrations for a popular meeting, but 100 is a good average
2) is accessible so that attendees with mobility issues can get into the
venue
3) doesn’t have onerous security requirements for getting attendees in and
out (names on the door / rsvp list is fine - thinking more about not having
to go through metal detectors, check-in bags etc…)
4) has some kind of projector / screen casting solution for speakers to use
with their slides
5) depending on the size/layout we might need pa and mic so that the
speakers can be heard

If you know of a venue (e.g. your office) that might be suitable please get
in touch with me directly off-list and we can try to sort it out.  Even if
your venue doesn’t hit all the requirements (I mean the last 3, as the
first 2 are pretty much deal-breakers) it might be better than nothing.

Cheers,

Murray