[LRUG] VPS performance and monitoring

George Palmer george.palmer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 02:13:14 PST 2015

Most VPS have a policy where unused CPU time can be grabbed by other VM
users.  This means when other servers on the same host are quiet you get
more than your fair share.  This is a nice bonus but you should not plan on
having that available all the time.  We monitor steel time to get an idea
of how much it's happening:
http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2013/07/25/understanding-cpu-steal-time-when-should-you-be-worried

We had problems with DNS before after a Linode attack.  We now add Google's
DNS servers to our servers on setup.  I've just realised as I typed this
that you might be thinking the other way round.  We don't use our hosts DNS
service - use a dedicated company for that (we didn't find Linodes very
high quality and it's too important to risk).

George

George Palmer
@georgio_1999
http://www.sendowl.com