[LRUG] Number of tests over time?

Tim Cowlishaw tim at timcowlishaw.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 07:21:35 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I was idly wondering earlier on about how our test suites change over the
life of a project. New features almost definitely mean more tests, but
refactoring (in my experience) makes some tests redundant, so it's not
necessarily a monotonic increase over time. Therefore, just to satisfy my
own curiosity: (1) How long has your project been in development? (2) How
many people work on it? (3) How many specs / unit tests do you have, and
(4) How many integration / acceptance tests or cukes do you have?

I'll go first:

I've been working on this project since the beginning of January as the
sole developer, and I've currently got 434 specs and 55 cucumber scenarios
(with 204 steps).

(Obviously this is in no way meant to be a scientific survey. Just idly
wondering how others work)

Cheers!

Tim