[LRUG] Multiple Rails apps sharing common UI

Kerry Buckley kerryjbuckley at gmail.com
Tue May 19 02:27:17 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Stuart Harrison <pezholio at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Might also be worth looking at Slimmer, built by GDS
> https://github.com/alphagov/slimmer
>
> It’s a bit of Rack middleware that allows you to apply a standard header
> and footer, served from a different host. For example, the header and
> footer for http://theodi.org/ is served via
> http://static.theodi.org/templates/www.html.erb - we probably don’t use
> it to the best of its ability, but it sounds like it would suit your needs
> perfectly. Our static app is a rails app, but it could just as easily be a
> simple sinatra app, or even just static HTML.

Thanks – looks like that would neatly take care of the look-and-feel stuff,
and I'd only have to worry about single sign-on. That looks like one vote
for separate apps, one for namespacing within one app (thanks Alejandro),
and none for engines, which is increasing my wariness about using them.

Kerry