[LRUG] Multiple Rails apps sharing common UI

Robbie Clutton rclutton at pivotal.io
Tue May 19 02:18:48 PDT 2015

Hi Kerry =)

Some of my colleagues at Pivotal Labs have blogged
<https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Apivotallabs.com+rails+engines&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS578US578&oq=site%3Apivotallabs.com+rails+engines&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.5271j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8>
fair amount on this Rails engines including shared dependencies, migrations
and more. We also have an internal live style guide
<https://github.com/pivotal/pivotal-styles-sass> which is a Rails Engine
(you can see the secret sauce
<https://github.com/pivotal/pivotal-styles-sass/blob/master/lib/pivotal/sass.rb>
here).
There's a decent talk on the live style guide aspect here
<http://original.livestream.com/pivotallabs/video?clipId=pla_5a76d100-ea64-4552-9d44-15078c26ace5>
which might be relevant.

I think engines does make sense in some cases, but Rails doesn't make it
easy for a developer to have a seamless experience as some of the blogs
will discuss above.

On your first point, you could always use URL rewriting (via httpd/nginx)
to send requests to different apps to keep them separate. Then using single
sign on, and shared styles you might be able to achieve the desired result,
and keep the applications isolated.

Robbie