[LRUG] Multiple Rails apps sharing common UI

Paul Doerwald paul at liquidmedia.ca
Tue May 19 06:59:26 PDT 2015

I’ll chime in with Graham about using a single app. There’s a certain appeal to software purity, but I’ve found in the past (when I’ve carefully written separate apps, or had clear delineations between parts of an app, assuming a largely overlapping set of users) that as the application matured, the two apps increasingly became one, and an eventual rewrite forcibly made them one.

I would satisfy my desire for code order by looking to the commonalities of the application — the overlapping user base, for example — and writing a single app that addresses those commonalities. Make the domain of your application broader than it actually is so that your components/modules are implicitly included in that broad domain. Your users don’t care that it’s all one app — in fact, they’ll probably prefer it without being able to express why — and you’ll have a lower long term maintenance burden on account of it.

Paul.

--
Paul Doerwald
Chancellor, Liquid Media Inc.