[LRUG] [Help] Alternatives to NewRelic

Seb Jacobs seb.jacobs at futurelearn.com
Thu May 28 05:56:38 PDT 2015

Hello all,

At FutureLearn we have been using NewRelic since before we launched back in
October 2013,
however it's getting to the point where we can no longer justify paying for
NewRelic.

* What do we currently use NewRelic for? *

+ Identifying slow controller actions/SQL queries
+ Monitoring slow background jobs
+ Identifying deployments which may have effected specific page generation
times.
+ Monitoring page generation times
+ Monitoring page load times
+ Monitoring general throughput and servers (used for Capacity planning)

I am currently in the process of evaluating alternative services to
NewRelic, and although in theory a combination of services such as
AppSignal, Skylight.io and ServerDensity might be able to meet the more
general use cases I have been unable to find any which feel quite right.

I was wondering if any fellow LRUGers have come across any NewRelic-like
services which fit these particular needs, and work out cheaper overall.

It might be worth noting that we are currently hesitant to go down the path
of reducing the number of instances running NewRelic as this will make our
infrastructure considerably more complicated to manage.

Any help would be much appreciated.

--

Seb Jacobs
Web Developer