[LRUG] [Help] Alternatives to NewRelic

Glenn Gillen glenn at rubypond.com
Thu May 28 14:00:43 PDT 2015

Have you spoken to New Relic? They used to discount pretty heavily if you were willing to sign up to a 12 month commitment.

-Glenn

On Thursday, 28 May 2015 at 11:03 pm, Seb Jacobs <seb.jacobs at futurelearn.com>, wrote:

Hello all,

At FutureLearn we have been using NewRelic since before we launched back in October 2013,

however it's getting to the point where we can no longer justify paying for NewRelic.

* What do we currently use NewRelic for? *

+ Identifying slow controller actions/SQL queries

+ Monitoring slow background jobs

+ Identifying deployments which may have effected specific page generation times.

+ Monitoring page generation times

+ Monitoring page load times

+ Monitoring general throughput and servers (used for Capacity planning)

I am currently in the process of evaluating alternative services to NewRelic, and although in theory a combination of services such as AppSignal, Skylight.io and ServerDensity might be able to meet the more general use cases I have been unable to find any which feel quite right.

I was wondering if any fellow LRUGers have come across any NewRelic-like services which fit these particular needs, and work out cheaper overall.

It might be worth noting that we are currently hesitant to go down the path of reducing the number of instances running NewRelic as this will make our infrastructure considerably more complicated to manage.

Any help would be much appreciated.

--

Seb Jacobs

Web Developer