[LRUG] [Help] Alternatives to NewRelic

Gabe da Silveira gabe at websaviour.com
Fri May 29 11:35:45 PDT 2015

Mm, the pitch for Skylight is impressive.

I love New Relic, but I'm in the same boat as so many others, I just can't
justify the cost.  It's not that New Relic's functionality isn't worth the
cost, it's that my team does not have the cycles to utilize it.  Maybe as
we get more mature we will be able to spend more time in the trenches eking
out the value, but for now we often go months without any serious
performance issues or optimization efforts where we would even glance at
New Relic.

It really seems like as they've grown they've become increasingly focused
on the enterprise and they don't care about the low end of the market
anymore.  This opens up the door for newer, hungrier entrants.  I'm
particularly excited about Rails-centric SaaS providers because that focus
leads to large value adds for Rails apps.  Honeybadger is a great example
where this philosophy has led to a product that's a cut above the generic
alternatives (eg. Exceptional/Airbrake).

-gabe