[LRUG] [OT] A blog post about writing tech job ads

Eve Braun eve.t.braun at gmail.com
Fri May 8 08:40:15 PDT 2015

Two other things we implemented which aided the recruitment process:

We followed advice which is quickly becoming the industry norm. Never look
at someones Github profile until you have made the decision to hire or not
hire them and do not let it influence you. Github profiles tend to favor
CIS White men over most minorities in a number of ways. CIS white men often
have more spare time or chose to pursue building up an impressive portfolio
of code rather than women or minorities who have to deal with things like
raising children or instiutionalised racism. Some in the SocJus community
have even said that technically companies could possibly even be breaking
discriminatory law by allowing peoples github profiles and publicly
available code to influence their hiring decisions - watch this space.

(More info:
http://www.ashedryden.com/blog/the-ethics-of-unpaid-labor-and-the-oss-community
)

We used Randi Harper's (https://twitter.com/freebsdgirl) blockbot to assess
applicants twitter profiles for problematic or toxic viewpoints. This may
sound a bit extreme but some of the staff here suffer from Aspergers & PTSD
and our top priority is to ensure that they don't get put in triggering
situations.Making a wrong hire could present a scenario where the employee
could be triggered on a daily basis by another employee with an oppressive
viewpoint. Other than from a diversity standpoint, from a business
standpoint these sorts of negative interactions can cost a company a huge
amount of time & money in employees taking off sick days. When all the
employees are on the same page the synergy in the office aids productivity.

(More info: http://www.theblockbot.com/)

On the topic of PTSD & being triggered, we also implemented a safe-space to
help employees feel secure throughout the day and go to wherever they need
it. Its complete with soothing music, jigsaw puzzles, beanbags & mood
lighting.

:)