[LRUG] [JOBS] Join the food revolution at sustainable food startup Farmdrop

Sven Poppelmann sven at farmdrop.co.uk
Fri Nov 27 04:10:27 PST 2015

Hello amazing people of LRUG,

Twice already you’ve made us a better place (did I mention you’re amazing?). We at Farmdrop are hiring again.

tl;dr Farmdrop is making the world a better place by getting a great deal for food producers and putting great food on people’s tables in the process. We want you to join the revolution.
About Farmdrop

Farmdrop’s mission is to get great-quality, local, seasonal, sustainable food from farm to fork with the smallest possible number of steps. It’s a better deal for the farmers, the consumers and the environment. Our website allows customers to choose their food from over 80 different farmers and food makers. The producers get to work digging, picking, baking and catching to get the order ready; then we deliver to homes and pick-up points across London.

Farmdrop believe that small is not only beautiful, but better. More efficient, more convenient, more viable and more sustainable. We want to champion better food for all, by rekindling the forgotten relationship between the makers and eaters of real food.

Our tech team

The team is currently composed of five full-stack developers. We have a great office in Bermondsey and we are generally colocated there. We have a kitchen and there’s always somebody cooking or baking some of the delicious produce our farmers sell. However, we’re pretty flexible in terms of time and space. What we care about is getting the job done.

We’re “agile with a small a” - we do daily standups, we have a kanban board, we pair when it makes sense to pair, and GANTT charts are verboten. We generally “do the right thing” (TDD, constant refactoring, pairing, pull requests and so on) but the need to deliver features quickly stops us from being dogmatic.

Our tech stack at the moment is based around:

Ruby
Rails
Postgres
node.js
React.js
AngularJS
Sass
Redis
ElasticSearch
Heroku
Memcached
Git(hub)
Rspec
Cucumber
About you

As a key member of a small, fast-moving company, you will have a lot of autonomy, creativity and impact, getting involved at all levels of the product lifecycle. There’s very little in the way of donkey-work. We’re building out our website all the time and kicking off some exciting new product work, too. You will be an important part of moving our software stack forward at every level, working in a small team of capable and friendly developers who love building great software. If we can promise anything, it’s that you’ll learn a lot!

We’re open to hiring at any level, from graduate to rockstar. You don’t absolutely need to have loads of Ruby and/or Javascript experience, as long as you’re open to learning and can show experience in similar tech. What we would like is:

A willingness to experiment with, and drive the adoption of, new tech that might help us (eg Docker, Raspberry Pi etc)
Someone who is comfortable taking responsibility (everyone deploys to production, everyone fixes urgent bugs)
An ability to think creatively
An ability to teach, and learn from, others and to work collaboratively
A track record of efficiency and self-discipline
Good verbal and written communication skills
An appreciation and enthusiasm for Farmdrop’s vision of making the world a slightly better place
Experience working in a startup would definitely be a big plus.

Show me the money

We pay a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. It’s not what you’d get working for a bank, but on the plus side… you won’t be working for a bank :-)

You also get options, plus lots of nice food. And a few of us head to Southwark Park a couple of times a week for a sneaky 5k run!

Recruitment process

Send (a link to) your CV and anything else you might think is relevant (Github or whatevz)
We’ll get in touch for a quick phone interview
If phone interview goes well, we’ll send over a simple code test
If the code is ok, we’ll ask you to come in for a few hours, pair with us on whatever we’re working on, go for lunch, and generally get a feel for Farmdrop.
What, more questions?

Feel free to email sven at farmdrop.co.uk if you want any more information.

Also, see our listings page for more details: http://farmdrop.applytojob.com/apply/

Recruiters