[LRUG] The advantage of immutability?

Roland Swingler roland.swingler at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 02:38:53 PDT 2015

Yeah, I think there is a distinction between code where you have control of
everything and when you're using a framework such as rails. It is about
whether you're the framework/language supports/is neutral/actively works
against you taking a certain approach.

If you have control of everything then you are free to use immutable
objects everywhere if you so choose, and get the advantages mentioned. If
you take the common types of toy problems that are used as 'challenges' as
part of the recruitment process, 9 out of 10 times your response will be
"better" if you follow the immutable objects approach. But then when you're
in a real world rails project there are a lot of assumptions made by the
framework authors and code already in your project which may not make it
the best/simplest approach, or invalidate the advantages.

Personally think this is why following 'extreme' approaches in toy or
practice problems is useful, because it gives you a pure environment to
experiment and practice; then you can spot small parts of your real
applications where the techniques may apply.

2 other unconnected thoughts:

* In the DDD world, they split things into Entities (things with identity
that change state over time, such as a Customer) and values which are
immutable (such as Address)
* In the Event Sourcing / CQRS model updates to state and viewing current
state are completely separated - all state changes are a log of updates
from which a 'current state' is constructed. Because of the way this work,
you can reconstruct your application state at any point in time since you
started it - an analagous model would be how git works.

Thanks,
Roland