[LRUG] [Blog post] (Rails) Application directories named as architectural patterns antipattern

Nicholas Johnson me at nicholasjohnson.com
Thu Sep 10 09:48:55 PDT 2015

I've worked on projects split by domain and those split by pattern. When I
come back a year later, the ones that remain the best organised are those
split by pattern.

The reason is that there are always edge cases, objects that don't really
fit a specific domain. Where do I put a password_recovery_service for
example. Do I nest it under user or create a password domain? One year
later I have to try and remember my decision. I also have to trust that
other developers have stuck to the domain model I invented on the spur of
the moment.

Patterns on the other hand remain constant.