[LRUG] Architecture Of Things

Enrico Teotti enrico.teotti at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 10:36:55 PDT 2015

1) I suggest to read: Domain Driven Design, Clean Code, The Art of
Agile Development. If you want to learn about architecture I suggest
to stay away from Rails source code. Rather look at Lotus internals.
Also beware that Rails often misuses the names of Enterprise patterns,
ie. "Active Record is a good choice for domain logic that isn't too
complex, such as creates, reads, updates, and deletes. " not exactly
what I've seen in the 10 years I worked with Rails apps. If you work
on large complex apps google for component based rails, there is a
book and a few blog posts about it.

2) I've read (front to back not skimmed) a lot of books about the
industry. You can look at the list on http://teotti.com/reading/ ; If
your company has a senior person mentoring you that will fast forward
the entire process.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 6:53 AM, Zoltan Biber <zoltan.biber at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’m working with Ruby / Rails for about 1.5 years now, loving the language, the framework and the open source world but as I work on a complex app at my job
> it is always the stack/architecture of things that can be difficult to master (e.g. the order in which code is executed in the stack). Would be keen to hear some opinions from fellow LRUG-ers:
>
> 1. Can you suggest a good book on Software Engineering / Software Architecture suitable as a first read on the topic?
>     Fresh stuff that is up-do-date with SOA,Microservices and Cloud Computing would be great.
>     It looks to me that the above have (completely) changed the ballgame but I might be wrong and the core fundamentals are absolutely the same?
>     Bonus: Is there a good book covering s. architecture built around Ruby/Rails? Or is that clashing with the generalist (language agnostic) approach of s.engineering?
>     I tend to find loads of tutorials that tell you WHAT to do and HOW but not so much about the WHY (in the grand scheme of things).
>
> 2. How did any of you guys transition from a newbie to that engineer level stating the year when you started from zero and education.
>     Here we have to distinguish between people starting web development in the ‘old days’ and ’nowadays’ because
>     in the old days people had the pain of not having the plethora of tools/documentation/tutorials available today but also the luxury of learning a
>     new tool/technology incrementally as the number of moving parts was much less and new tools were not released by minute.
>

> Thank you,
> Zoltan

[skype] enrico.teotti
[web] http://teotti.com