[LRUG] Architecture Of Things

Tekin Suleyman tekin at tekin.co.uk
Fri Sep 25 08:06:04 PDT 2015

Hi Zoltan,

> 1. Can you suggest a good book on Software Engineering / Software Architecture suitable as a first read on the topic?
>    Fresh stuff that is up-do-date with SOA,Microservices and Cloud Computing would be great.
>    It looks to me that the above have (completely) changed the ballgame but I might be wrong and the core fundamentals are absolutely the same?
>    Bonus: Is there a good book covering s. architecture built around Ruby/Rails? Or is that clashing with the generalist (language agnostic) approach of s.engineering?
>    I tend to find loads of tutorials that tell you WHAT to do and HOW but not so much about the WHY (in the grand scheme of things).

Many of the patterns that Rails uses were taken verbatim from Martin Fowler’s book Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture. It was published over a decade ago, and pre-dates a lot of the modern thinking around SOA/microservices, but is still very much a relevant and interesting read if you are looking to learn more about patterns for web-based applications.

Martin’s blog is also a great resource for the more fashionable patterns and contains lots of great material, e.g. http://martinfowler.com/tags/microservices.html <http://martinfowler.com/tags/microservices.html>

Tekin