[LRUG] Advice for a newbie

Brandon Burton brandon.anthony.burton at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 11:04:27 PDT 2016

Hey Tom,

Glad to hear you're looking to switch to being a software engineer. I
recently made the switch myself (I start my first day tomorrow!). I started
much like yourself by using whatever resources were available online and I
also looked a facilitating that with some good books while working
full-time. It's absolutely doable!

Personally, I can vouch for https://teamtreehouse.com/. It's not free but
it's not expensive and I really enjoyed the courses they have prepared.
Choosing a course for Ruby on Rails doesn't just have you learning RoR but
it also introduces you to databases, command line, html, css, etc. They've
got quite a few options on there so maybe give that a look.

The books I've used are Agile Web Development with Rails 4 and The Well
Grounded Rubyist. Agile Web Dev is a much more hands on book while Well
Grounded feels a bit more theoretical in its approach.

To continue learning I'm currently doing the exercises on exercism.io and
those are great. Definitely challenging with the opportunity to make the
tests harder by enabling more tests in the test suite.

In terms of the "best place to find a job", to me, that seems to be your
local ruby meet-up. My job offer came from doing a presentation at NWRUG in
Manchester on the same night that someone was looking to hire a junior. I
would definitely encourage you to visit your local Ruby meet-up if you have
one as it's an easy way to meet new people in the industry.

Cheers,
Brandon