[LRUG] Blog post: Init Scripts For Web Apps On Linux, And Why You Should Be Using Them

Asfand Yar Qazi ayqazi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 02:11:28 PDT 2016

On 10 Apr 2016 19:03, "Kasper Grubbe" <kawsper at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand the Ali G joke/reference/etc. tagline.

Sorry, my sense of humour is terrible.

> It could be interesting to dive a bit further into using it with Unicorn,
and go a bit more in depth with deployments. I believe you would be able to
achieve zero-downtime deploys when reloading new code by issuing `systemctl
reload app`.

Indeed, you'd have to configure the init script to send a specific signal
to the server on a reload. I'm sure it is just a configuration option.

Another strategy, which I've had great success in using, is to bring up a
brand new server cluster on every deploy and then move traffic over to it
without interruptions.

All the best.