[LRUG] Hello from Brisbane

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 03:49:44 PDT 2016

Hi Elliot,

On 12 April 2016 at 10:08, Elliott Hilaire <elliott.hilaire at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello LRUG!
>
> I'll arrive around June 10th, just in time for the June meetup?

Yeah, no details yet but it should be on Monday the 13th June.

> The plan is to stay and work for a couple of years. I don't have any work
> lined up yet but I'd like to spend the first couple of weeks visiting
> offices and meeting people. If you'd be keen to grab lunch/coffee/beer or
> show me where you work, please get it touch.

This list should be a good place to find out what companies are around,
which are hiring etc…  Watch out for emails tagged [JOBS] in particular.

> If you know of any ruby conferences, railscamps, railsgirls, etc, events
> coming up please tell me! I'd like to plan them in but am not fully in the
> loop yet.

http://brightonruby.com/ - Friday 8th July and about an hour away from
London by train down on the seaside.

http://railsgirls.london/ - last event was May 2015, but this tweet
https://twitter.com/railsgirls_ldn/status/718124193217441792 suggests
there’ll be one in July this year.

https://codebar.io/ - runs 3 evening tutorial sessions every week in London
(and more elsewhere).  It’s not just ruby that they run courses for, but
they are always looking for new coaches.

Lanyrd is a useful site for finding tech events and meetups - albeit not as
useful as it used to be :(.  For example here’s the page for ruby events in
London http://lanyrd.com/topics/ruby/in/london/ - but you could browse
around for other topics or places.

You could also try our hosts Skills Matter who run lots of free tech
meetups and commercial courses, conferences, etc...
https://skillsmatter.com/

I’m sure other folk will chip in with useful stuff too.

Cheers,

Murray