[LRUG] Advice for a newbie

Riccardo Tacconi rtacconi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 07:14:22 PDT 2016

Hi,

While developing in Ruby, you will use the terminal a lot, so using a unix
terminal (bash or zsh) is useful, this is a simple but good course
http://cli.learncodethehardway.org/book/. I would lear Ruby from here:
http://learnrubythehardway.org/ (it is the easiest way not the hardest).
>From the same author you can learn SQL too. Then you will need to learn
HTML and CSS, try https://www.codecademy.com/learn/web. From code academy
you can learn Javascript and Ruby too. To be honest you can use JavaScript
for the frontend and backend too (nodejs) so you will have to learn just
one programming language.

You have a bachelor in natural languages, programming (artificial
languages) are a bit different, they are something between natural
languages and computer hardware. However Ruby is very expressive and you
might find it not too difficult to understand. Programming languages like
Haskell are coming from Maths (lambda calculus) and the look much more like
Mathematics.

So if I were you I would learn HTML and CSS, then JavaScript. Then you can
decide if you want to learn nodejs (javaScript) or Ruby. Then SQL.

I assumed that you want to learn web development.

Good luck!

On 10 April 2016 at 10:51, Tom Yates <tomy8s at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all and hello,
>
> I am looking at a career change into the world of programming,
> specifically ruby. I was wondering if anyone had some advice for me on:
>
> 1. How to prepare myself for working in (ruby) programming - i.e. what are
> useful things to know/learn beforehand.
>
> 2. The best places to look for (and hopefully find) a job.
>

> A bit about me:
>
> Whilst working full-time I've been teaching myself ruby, PHP, html 5, css
> 3, js and a bit of SQL through watching online courses, mostly at
> udemy.com and messing around with the language. I've just started reading
> "The Ruby Way" by Hal Fulton. I've uploaded my projects to
> github.com/tomy8s (feel free to look!), and I've just started putting
> together a mess of a rails app at tomy8s.herokuapp.com . I have a
> bachelors degree in languages (French, Spanish and Slovene) - vaguely
> related to a degree in ruby, python and C?
>
> I'd be very grateful for any advice you could give, no matter how
> crazy/unusual it sounds.
>
> Best regards,
>
> And thank you very much if you've read this far! :)
>
> Tom

Riccardo Tacconi

http://github.com/rtacconi
http://twitter.com/rtacconi