[LRUG] The puzzling phenomenon of the Rails dev who hardly knows Ruby

Tommy Palmer hi at tommyp.org
Wed Jul 6 07:58:11 PDT 2016

When I started out as a Dev I was working in a product agency mostly
working on early stage prototypes for startups to try and get more funding.
Most of my workload was building out the view layer. Eventually I became
more experienced with Rails and was building out features in some
comparatively complicated Apps. Building something fairly complicated from
the User’s perspective with not very deep knowledge of Rails was however
fairly easy. Yeah the code probably wasn’t very pretty, scalable or
understandable but it got the work done and the client was happy.

Until you need to handle problems of scale or do something fairly different
from the standard CRUD app you don’t need to dig too deep. Knowing which
bits of code are Ruby and which are Rails doesn’t come into it when you’re
*always* using Rails and aren’t doing anything too complicated.

As you dig deeper and need to do more complicated things, only then do you
start to learn Ruby properly. At least in my experience.

Tommy

On 6 July 2016 at 15:30:53, Luke Bennellick (bennellick.luke at gmail.com)