[LRUG] The puzzling phenomenon of the Rails dev who hardly knows Ruby

Greg Molnar greg at molnar.io
Wed Jul 6 07:19:12 PDT 2016

Well, when I started with Ruby and Rails, I just picked up the very basics of Ruby(just the syntax basically) and started to learn Rails itself. I became pretty productive within a short period of time with the framework, even though I didn’t know much of Ruby(metaprogramming, procs, lambdas, blocks, threads etc), then I started to pick those up as well.
So I assume when someone is referring a Rails dev who doesn’t know ruby they think of someone like I was when I entered this world.