[LRUG] MacBook for Ruby dev work

Paul Battley pbattley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 02:35:39 PDT 2016

On 19 July 2016 at 10:09, Ian Moss <hello at ianmoss.com> wrote:
> Does anyone currently use a machine other than an Apple based product?
>
> I run unbuntu on a ThinkPad, and enjoy using it. Quite like it when I meet
> others with one too, though we're pretty rare. Keep meaning to try mint, but
> havn't got around to it yet.

I use Ubuntu (Lubuntu, to be precise, because the interface is more
boring) 14.04 LTS (again, because stability is boring) on a ThinkPad
x220. The keyboard is really nice, and it works fine for me! After
working alongside people using OS X, I'm pretty sure that apt is less
hassle than Homebrew.

My computer cost £260 refurbished, plus a bit extra for an SSD and 16
GB of RAM. It's not as slim as a MacBook Pro, but it weighs about the
same, and I probably wouldn't be too devastated if I dropped or lost
it. In fact, it's cheap enough that I bought another identical one to
leave at client sites instead of carrying it there and back each day.

The only thing that might prompt me to upgrade at this point would be
a higher resolution screen, but as I mostly use it plugged into an
external monitor that's not a huge issue.

Paul.