[LRUG] The puzzling phenomenon of the Rails dev who hardly knows Ruby

Jon Wood jon at ninjagiraffes.co.uk
Wed Jul 6 07:23:52 PDT 2016

I can't speak to the mythical Rails developer who doesn't know Ruby, but I
do have quite frequent frustrating conversations with my brother who hacks
things together in C#. They tend to involve him complaining that some
seemingly trivial problem is far to complex to solve, and invariably it
turns out his approach of searching Stack Overflow for answers vaguely
similar but never attempting to understand them means he doesn't understand
the fundamentals. He's the C# equivalent of a Rails developer who can hook
up models, but wouldn't even know that model classes can inherit from
things other than ActiveRecord::Base, and in both cases its caused by not
having the time and/or motivation to look into how things actually work.