[LRUG] The puzzling phenomenon of the Rails dev who hardly knows Ruby

Steve steve.laing at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 08:58:10 PDT 2016

I think it's commonplace to copy and paste from Stack Overflow and there
are many valid reasons to do so. For example, to avoid wasting time
reinventing the wheel on a common problem. I'd say we're all copy and paste
programmers at some point in the day or at least in our careers.
It's also common to start out working with Rails rather than purely with
Ruby, that's no bad thing, if you know enough to get the work you can
progress to learning the underlying language.
A while ago people would know the Java API by heart, taking Sun
Certification (TM) exams to prove it, it didn't automatically make them
great Spring developers.
My point being we often start out learning the most practical thing to get
us work.

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/stephenlaing