[LRUG] Is turbolinks/jQuery still the dominant front-end approach with Rails devs?

Jon Wood jon at ninjagiraffes.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 02:04:42 PDT 2016

I would say that it depends on the scale of your frontend at the moment. If
you're building a web app which can function with just some generated HTML
and the odd sprinkle of Javascript then jQuery is probably the way to go as
you get all the benefits of Rails' gem ecosystem and years of tooling to
build HTML quickly.

If you're building a rich application then you'll probably want the extra
structure provided by something like React or Ember, but you'll pay the
price in initial bootstrapping of your application, and being somewhat on
the bleeding edge. You do get the advantage of a proper API backing
everything though, which pays off rapidly as your application gets larger.

Finally, there's the option of having a REST API, and a Rails generated
interface built on top of that. If you're web application is the only API
client then I'm not sure I'd recommend that approach. If you need an API
for other clients anyway then this can be a really nice way of working
because every feature you build for any client requires API endpoints which
can quite dramatically reduce the overheads in supporting the feature for
other clients.