[LRUG] OT: Programming services for businesses in mid-sized towns

Jon Wood jon at ninjagiraffes.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 02:04:58 PDT 2016

In my experience the businesses you describe need developers for a one off
project, rather than as a full time member of staff, and go to an agency to
get that project completed. Mid-sized, non-technology, businesses usually
won't have anyone in house with any real experience of managing a software
project, or working out what it is they need - that's why they go to
external agencies who will help with everything from working out what the
customer actually needs, through to developing and supporting the software.

Unfortunately that means most of the work for developers outside of large
cities is for those sort of agencies. I say unfortunately because you're
unlikely to see many genuinely interesting projects working for one -
you'll get a lot of cookie cutter e-commerce sites, and the odd internal
CRUD app. You're also unlikely to see that application developing over time
as small businesses buying software think of it in those terms - that
they're buying a piece of software, rather than taking on something that
will evolve over time.

My approach to that is to work remotely for a company in London, so I get
to work on an interesting long-term project, and mostly avoid having to
commute in. I'm in the office twice a month for meetings, and working from
home and coffee shops the rest of the time. The other option is to find a
business in the area you like the look of, and then persuade them that you
can improve how they run by building software for them. It would be a tough
sell in most cases, but if you can find somewhere that bites and then start
delivering value to them then you've probably got a job for life!

Jon