[LRUG] OT: Programming services for businesses in mid-sized towns

Louis Goff-Beardsley louis at infinitiumglobal.com
Thu Jun 23 03:19:13 PDT 2016

I’ve worked with a number of mid-sized teams outside of major rails hubs. Often companies never get going because the local talent pool doesn’t exist for them to draw from as you need Ruby teams in the locality to produce developers, and they can’t build a team big enough to produce developers to contribute to the talent pool, so it’s a viscous circle.

When a team does get going, they manage to get 1-2 good developers together and they begin hiring and training entry level developers and cross training local PHP & java developers. This can work well, but it all depends on the ability of the initial developers. I’ve seen it where teams lead by developers not quite up to a London standard, have built a team and the ability of their home grown developers is below the level that they would be at, if they were in a major rails hub.

Major rails hubs have an eco-system with meetups and the continuous movement of developers between different teams which fosters good coding practices and processes. When a team is left relatively isolated, this level of knowledge sharing with the wider community isn’t necessarily there so they can fall a little behind.

That said, there is always segment of the market of developers who are keen to get out of London (cheaper housing, they’ve just had kids, the state schools in London aren’t great, too noisey/busy etc) so I’ve always kept a few good Ruby shops outside of London/major cities on my books for such people.

Alternatively remote is a viable option. You have to shop around for a good job as they are not as plentiful as onsite London roles, but if you’re a good developer, you’ll find one within a few months.

Best, Louis