[LRUG] [JOBS] Mid/senior Ruby developer / political campaigner ;)

Denny de la Haye denny.d at 38degrees.org.uk
Tue Sep 6 09:59:06 PDT 2016

Hi all,

After briefly managing to have a full team, I'm now recruiting again at 38
Degrees (someone left to study an MSc after winning a scholarship!)

Long and hopefully detailed job advert is pasted in below, but the tl,dr is:

* Mid/senior level Ruby web dev
* Permanent, full-time, flexitime
* On-site (in Farringdon/Clerkenwell area)
* Salary range £40-60k
* Friendly office, interesting work, and a 'worthy' end product!

I'm happy to answer questions by email or in person (I should be at the
meeting next week).

Cheers,
Denny

==========

Software Engineer at 38 Degrees

Work on the cutting edge of political campaigning with a small
high-performing in-house tech team. 38 Degrees creates software that allows
millions of people to make their voices heard on the issues that matter to
them - through the internet and on the ground. We’re recruiting innovative
problem solvers who are passionate about taking our technology platform to
the next level. This is an opportunity to join our team of campaigners and
work together to design, build, break and reinvent the tools that help make
the UK fairer, protect our environment and enhance our democracy.

38 Degrees is a campaigning community of millions who come together to take
action and win campaigns on issues such as protecting our NHS, clamping
down on tax dodging and stopping climate change. We use tools like
petitions, emailing representatives, meeting our MPs in our towns and much
more. Together we’ve already won some impressive victories, like protecting
tax credits from government cuts and delaying the dangerous international
trade-deal TTIP. And we’re just getting started!

Technology is core to our mission. We’ve been at the forefront of digital
activism for the past 7 years. We’ve built tools for organising hundreds of
simultaneous events, connecting members with their local representatives
and allowing members to take over 1 million actions per month. We want to
massively expand our on-the-ground organising abilities, find new ways to
connect members together and expand into new channels like mobile push and
Whatsapp. We need talented engineers to turn ideas into reality.

This is a software engineering role for someone passionate about working
with a collaborative, multidisciplinary, mission-driven team. Managed by
the Lead Software Engineer you’ll work on the design and implementation of
our tech platform, composed of several inter-related apps and services.
You’ll work closely with the rest of the team to deliver our organisational
mission.

Day-to-day:

* Work on new features across our different apps, fix bugs and keep a watch
on potential security and performance issues

* Work with campaigners to bring campaign ideas to life. You’ll ask
questions to help people get clear on what it is they’re trying to do and
the best way to achieve it.

* Help make decisions with the rest of the team about where to focus
development for the next week or month.

* Collaborate directly with international partner organisations in
countries around the world - making pull requests and checking out the
latest commits.

* Take time to play and be creative with ideas for campaigning tools that
you’re excited about.

Essential skills and experience

* Mid/senior level Ruby and at least one framework

* Determined and thorough - can see a project through from idea to
prototyping, design, production, scaling and beyond

This might be the job for you if you are:

* A quick learner

* A builder and a problem solver. Able to rapidly get new features and apps
up and running. Willing to experiment and fail

* Excited about designing the whole architecture of an application or
platform

* Excited by creating tech for new ways to engage millions of people in
political action

* Passionate about working with a collaborative, multidisciplinary,
mission-driven team!

Our stack

We’re in the process of open-sourcing several of our major apps, including
our main action platform. You can check out what we’ve already got on
GitHub (username: 38dgs), but there’s a lot more to follow.

Our platform is made up of several small to medium-sized apps which
exchange data via webhooks and APIs. The main ones are:

* Speakout - petitions, email-to-target, fundraising and surveys for our
members

* Identity - a CRM for securely keeping track of members’ details

* Identity Mailer - high-volume email sending platform

* Analytics - a high-powered SQL database which gives us daily and long
term insights

* Organise - an organising tool for local members to meet each other and
plan events

* Campaigns By You - run by ControlshiftLabs, this allows members to run
their own campaigns

Most of our applications are written in Ruby (Padrino and Rails
frameworks), although there are a couple of smaller ones in Node.js. We use
Heroku for deployment and services like Amazon RDS to allow us to focus on
features not maintenance. We’re inspired by the Twelve Factor app
methodology for making scalable, easy-to-maintain and easy-to-deploy code.

Location: Farringdon, London, UK.  This is not a remote-working role.

Salary and benefits: Competitive salary: guide £40,000 - £60,000 dependent
on experience. 27 days paid annual leave plus 5 days optional unpaid leave
per year. Flexible budget for professional development, coaching etc.

We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We
do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national
origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability
status. We actively encourage applications from people with a variety of
backgrounds, experience and perspectives, and we particularly welcome
applications from sections of the community which are currently under
represented at 38 Degrees.

--

Denny de la Haye

Lead Software Engineer, 38 Degrees