[LRUG] Code quality 2.5-question survey: the results

Gabe da Silveira gabe at websaviour.com
Tue Sep 13 11:57:09 PDT 2016

Coming at it from the opposite side, I sort of feel like any good,
experienced developer will think all non-trivial business code bases are
varying degrees of terrible.  I mean it's one thing to design a library
with a very clear scope and purpose, but business code is always a mess
because the real world is messy.  Inevitably you start making tradeoffs
from day one that will eventually come back to bite you.  A very smart,
business-savvy senior developer may only get bitten 20% of the time, and a
junior developer will probably get bitten 90+% of the time, but
statistically you will *always* get bitten for a sufficiently (read: not
very) complex business application.

IMHO the real mark of a truly senior developer is to recognize this
reality, and not use it to judge any prior developers, but rather to
understand the constraints that led to it, and apply effort to improve the
situation at the optimal pain points that we feel today and into the
future.  When you prevent future pain, often no one but you will ever know,
but it still feels good.