[LRUG] Code quality 2.5-question survey: the results

Louis Goff-Beardsley louis at infinitiumglobal.com
Wed Sep 14 02:26:02 PDT 2016

> it's clear that job title inflation has run amok. Faced with a severe shortage of Ruby developers, employers will add pretty much any adjective to a prospective candidate's offer title to get them to come on board. Anecdotal evidence supports this: I can barely find the # key on my laptop, and yet my email signature still gets to have "Senior" in it. When all those graduates of General Assembly and Makers Academy start flooding the market, a bunch of us are going to have to up our game, because the word "Senior" will no longer be handed out like candy to anyone with over a year's experience.
A few thoughts on this:

I’m seeing 30-60 Makers Academy/General Assembly/Code clan graduates enter the market every 90 days (there are also many similar programs throughout Europe generating similar numbers of new developers). I’ve been wondering what affect long term this is going to have on the market. I’ve not observed any Makers Academy/General Assembly graduates get fast tracked into senior roles like their Computer Science degree counterparts. I’ve worked with many of the developers from the first courses that these camps held and I’ve not seen anyone reach to upper-Mid level yet. I get the impression that the career path that they are on is more natural as if there equity in supply and demand. I imagine that it may take the Majority of these people 6+ years to hit senior. Unless demonstrably talented, they generally aren’t on the crazy +£10k /year salary trajectory that most developers are on currently.

Short term, these people are struggling to find work as the supply of juniors into the market is far outstripping the demand. Long term as these developers gain in experience I agree that it is going to increase the threshold to qualify as a senior developer. If you compare Ruby to Java, Java developers typically need 7-8+ years’ experience to get senior Roles and I think this is what it probably should be for Ruby if supply/demand of developers reaches an equilibrium.

Web development salaries were not amazing until relatively recently. People who are truly senior now would have to have weathered the storm post dotcom bubble when the industry wasn’t as lucrative. This limited the number of people who are currently senior to those who likely stuck on their career path through passion and enthusiasm. When I was doing a Computer Science degree in 2004 I heard people saying “The industry has gone to crap, there’s no jobs”. Its only now that salaries are so high due to the limited number of such developers who stuck around that people who would have not otherwise considered programming are jumping on the bandwagon. Now that people are more motivated to join the industry for financial reasons, it is likely going to lead to a reduction in salaries in the long term. Hopefully the current seniors of now, are still probably always going to be a few steps ahead of the people coming up in the future, but the aspiring developers who are entering, attracted by the £70-80k senior packages, may never reach that amount, or they will, but it will take significantly longer than it used to.

Best, Louis