[LRUG] CMS Recommendations

Stuart Harrison pezholio at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 01:52:49 PST 2017

I like the look of Contentful - https://www.contentful.com/. It’s a hosted
service, but provides a nice, user friendly interface for editors, and
provides the content via an API. I’ve not used it, but I’ve been looking
for an excuse to!

Cheers

Stuart

On 22 February 2017 at 09:48:57, Ed Lepedus (ed.lepedus at googlemail.com)
wrote:

Hi LRUG,

I’m looking to build a content-heavy site with tight API integration, a bit
like www.plotr.co.uk (which uses a bespoke CMS and integrates with
www.sokanu.com for it’s career test), but would like to avoid re-inventing
the CMS wheel.

Could anyone recommend an (open source?) CMS which lends itself well to
being extended in such a way?

Aside from the API integration, we would also like to allow third-parties
(i.e advertisers etc) to have self-managed areas on the site (similar to
Plotr’s sponsored worlds).

We’re polyglot developers, and have done epic things with Wordpress
recently, but this project feels like it would have a lot more custom code,
so would lend itself to Rails rather than trying to shoehorn WordPress in
where it doesn’t belong.

The rub is that we know we can get them up and running to a high standard
very quickly with WordPress, so the temptation is to start with WordPress
as an experiment and rewrite in Rails once the concept is validated — I
just know that many projects have started that way and still use the
‘throwaway prototype’ years later.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks,
Ed