[LRUG] [JOBS] Freelancer. And some reflections.

Sleepyfox sleepyfox at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 04:22:02 PST 2017

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of some of the respondents regarding
documentation (because I've often suffered from incomplete, inaccurate
or missing docs) I am also acutely aware of the problem of implicit
vs. explicit knowledge, e.g. you can only document the things that you
know you know about. The majority of our knowledge is embedded in our
subconscious and not available to be 'captured' in an online (or
offline) medium like code comments, READMEs, design docs etc.

Even if _all_ the knowledge _were_ explicit, we still face the
inevitable trade-off of time and cost vs. benefit in _what_ to
document, and the decisions that we make are grounded in our own
myopic viewpoint and our own muddled thinking of what is relevant vs.
irrelevant. Time and experience helps us to be a better judge of what
to document, and when, but it is a real 'undiscovered country' skill
in the repertoire of professional developers.

So whilst I agree that good documentation certainly helps remote work
be more effective for a team, in my experience there are many other
contributory factors that affect the success of a team, including but
not limited to shared goals, an empathic understanding of differing
cultural values amongst the team, a shared understanding of the
problem space, regular and effective communication, and a consensus of
opinion on a sensible approach to implementing the chosen solution.
I'm sure I've missed many.

It is so tempting to regard good documentation as a silver bullet: "If
only we could get the docs up to scratch we could totally nail this
distributed team project"...

TL;DR: Good documentation is often necessary, but not sufficient.

@sleepyfox